Requirements For Marrying A U.S. Citizen

Pennsylvania residents who wish to marry immigrants must comply with state and federal laws. These laws require their hopeful spouse to follow the requirements for entering the country legally. If the immigrant enters the country illegally, this could lead to further complications and deportation. A deportation attorney in Bucks County provides help for couples who wish to marry and are facing these consequences.

Obtaining a Visa to Enter the Country

The first step for the hopeful immigrant spouse is to acquire a college or work visa. They must submit their application through the U.S. Embassy in their own country. Once they gain approval for the visa, they may enter the country according to the guidelines presented by their assigned caseworker. They must also update all information when changes are made to prevent deportation.


What is Consular Processing?

Consular processing is required when the immigrants need to acquire residency. Any immigrant who enters the country illegal to get married is deported back to the country in which they were born. They can apply for a green card through the U.S. Embassy once they reach their country of origin. However, if the immigrant has continued to stay inside the country illegally for a period beyond 179 days, they need to submit a waiver. This form is I-601 and is also available through the embassy.

What to Expect During the Interview

After the marriage occurs, the Immigration and Customs Enforcement agency must conduct an interview. The purpose of the interview is to determine that the marriage is legitimate. The interview may take several hours to complete, and the couple may be interviewed separately. The interviewer asks questions pertaining the couple’s relationship. They also ask personal questions that determine the nature of the relationship.

What is an Affidavit of Support?

An affidavit of support defines the spouses ability to support the immigrant financially. They must provide evidence of their income. They must sign all applicable forms and file them with ICE.

Pennsylvania residents may marry immigrants who have entered the country. However, it is illegal to marry immigrants to help them acquire a green card if there isn’t a legitimate marriage. Immigrants who are suspected of fraud are deported back to the country of their origin. Couples who are facing the deportation process after they have established a legal marriage should contact a deportation lawyer in Philadelphia today.